Todd Martin is a partner at Stinson Leonard Street, LLP., one of the largest law firms serving clients across the United States in a wide range of practice areas including Corporate Finance, Intellectual Property and Technology, Private Business, Product Liability, and Health Law. He has over 20 years of experience in insurance regulation, administrative law, and employee benefits and has worked with countless corporate legal departments of Fortune 500 companies. Currently, he advises insurers, third-party administrators, brokers, and employers on health plan regulatory concerns such as the Affordable Care Act.
This episode is brought to you by:
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.
Todd joins us today to share how his career as an attorney in the insurance industry began. He explains what Association Health Plans are and how they help organizations, agencies, and businesses offer affordable healthcare plans to their members. He also explains the regulatory and legal aspects associated with joining or creating a new association, what to consider when starting a new association, and future projections for federal and state regulatory laws regarding Association Health Plans.
What you’ll learn:
- What is an Association Health Plan?
- How Association Health Plans can help businesses lower the cost of offering health insurance to their organization members.
- Laws and requirements associated with becoming an approved association.
- How similar businesses can participate in Association Health Plans and how the laws are evolving regarding the rules on membership access.
- Benefits of becoming a member of an Association.
- How the Affordable Care Act has impacted Association Health Plan regulations.
- Changes in laws and regulations at the state and federal levels.
- What to consider when starting a new association.
- Costs associated with starting an Association Health Plan.
- How healthcare brokers can increase business awareness of Association Health Plans.
- The estimated amount of time it takes to get an Association Health Plan ready to offer to members.
- Factors that impact the healthcare savings for Association Health Plans.
- Mitigating risks associated with the “death spiral concept.”
- The importance of underwriting and reviewing new members to ensure the viability of association health plans.
- Connect with a good broker to learn what options are available for your association and members.
- Consider the viability of your group for sponsoring a health plan.
- Consider your state laws regarding health plan options.
Connect with Todd:
- (612) 335-1409