Ursula Merten is the Director of Insurance Strategy & Information at omni:us, a company that utilizes AI for cognitive claims management. As Director, she helps property and casualty insurance companies better understand the data they receive from clients and find ways to automate workflows in their organization. Ursula is also a self-described insurance nerd that’s interested in how technology is continuously disrupting the industry while empowering women in business.
This episode is brought to you by:
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.
Ursula joins us today to discuss how AI can revolutionize the average insurance and claims process and why data is at the center of this disruption. She shares why she chose to pursue a career in insurance, the challenges of being a woman in a male-dominated industry, and how she found success. She describes the best way to get data from consumers and how the pandemic made data collection more accessible. Ursula also shares what she believes are the downsides of AI and what she wants newcomers to know before venturing into insurance.
“AI can only learn from what the human tells it.”Ursula Merten
What you’ll learn:
- Ursula’s professional achievements and career experience over twenty years
- What Ursula dreamed of doing when she was young and when she joined insurance
- Ursula’s experience in handling claims related to asbestos exposure
- What it was like being a young woman in a male-dominated industry
- Why Ursula was initially uncomfortable with negotiating salary and raises
- How men and women look at job qualifications differently
- Why being “annoying” with questions is the new way businesses base their data
- How the pandemic enacted changes that favored data collection
- The pros and cons of having rapid technological progress
- Ursula’s advice to carriers and agencies on how they should start with data
- The pitfalls of AI and how they affected various industries
- Omni:us and the solutions they provide to the insurance industry
- Ursula’s advice for newcomers in the industry
- How to be confident without being seen as arrogant
- Don’t try to sell yourself without the claims to back it up.
- Previously, discarding legacy systems for newer systems was a scary investment in both time and money.
- Always ask your leaders how to move up in your career.
Connect with Ursula:
- Ursula Merten on LinkedIn
- Ursula Merten on Twitter
- Email: email@example.com