Safiya Reid is the Reporting Compliance Manager at PURE Insurance, a member-owned insurer and specialist group of companies. Before her work at PURE, Safiya served as the Director of Plaza Research, where she managed qualitative research projects, established and implemented procedures, and assisted in doubling the projected revenue for the company within the first quarter through innovative technology and operational initiatives. She has extensive experience in the Pharmaceutical, Merchant Processing, Radio, and Market Research industries in addition to insurance. Safiya received her Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Spellman College and went on to earn a Master of Arts in Communication from Georgia State University.
This episode is brought to you by:
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.
Safiya joins us to share her professional journey from growing up in Brooklyn to her entry into the insurance industry. She shares her insights into networking and professional advancement and how to make your mark in any industry. Safiya also highlights how being your genuine self can impact your career trajectory and why you should continually invest in your professional development.
“Be authentically yourself.”Safiya Reid
What you’ll learn:
- Safiya’s upbringing in Brooklyn and what she loves about her current life and work in Atlanta.
- What Safiya’s career aspirations were at a young age and the program she credits for her development.
- What Safiya studied in university and insight on her college career, including her experience with being in a sorority.
- Safiya’s experience with transitioning from retail to the insurance industry, and her professional growth journey with Pure Insurance.
- Why networking matters and Safiya’s approach to it.
- The idea of a “reverse career fair” and why Safiya believes it is useful.
- Community initiatives Safiya is involved with and how she invests in herself.
- Advice for students thinking of entering the insurance industry or pursuing any professional path.
- Embrace every opportunity to take on new challenges and responsibilities within your company, as doing so is a chance to open doors that can lead to promotions and professional success.
- Know when to say you don’t know the answer and be diligent with following up and finding the information you need.
- If you aren’t taking care of your brain, you won’t take in information – no matter how many professional development events you attend. Embrace self-care.