Caribou Honig is the Chairman and Cofounder of InsureTech Connect, a company that holds the world’s largest insurtech event annually. They provide a place for entrepreneurs, investors, and other members of the insurance industry to gather and network. Caribou obtained his BA in Physics and Philosophy from Harvard University, his MBA from the University of Virginia – Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, and his JD, LAW from the University of Virginia School of Law.
This episode is brought to you by:
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.
Today, Caribou discusses the concept behind InsureTech Connect. He shares how he came to found the company and why he wanted to have an annual event for members of the industry. He describes his life before becoming an entrepreneur, his drive for higher education, and some of the lessons he’s learned in running an investment company. Caribou also shares advice to those who are interested in joining the insurance industry and explains what you can expect by attending InsureTech Connect 2019.
What you’ll learn:
- How Caribou Honig began his career in the insurance industry.
- The funny story behind the name “Caribou.”
- His many academic pursuits and where his passion for learning started.
- The challenges he’s faced in his career and how he overcame them.
- The lessons he learned from the mistakes he made in the venture capital world.
- His criteria when it comes to investing in startups.
- What are “elegant businesses” and how you can find them.
- The story behind InsureTech Connect and the goal of creating the event.
- What to expect from InsureTech Connect 2019.
- His advice to newcomers in the industry.
Connect with Caribou
- Sometimes you have to commit to the universe that it’s time to move on and the universe will look out for you.
- Focus on getting business done, so you can go back to living your life outside of work.