Ep. 256: Insurance Education & Awareness in Africa
Judith Pila is an insurance expert, insurance blog writer, and the founder of Insure Africa. Insure Africa is a Nigerian company driving insurance inclusion through literacy, education and awareness across Africa. As the founder, Judith is in charge of leading the company’s strategic plans and their insurtech integration and innovation. Judith is also one of the contributing experts for Insuranceopedia, one of the largest resources for insurance education.
This episode is brought to you by:
Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA), America’s premier regulatory compliance experts. To learn more visit ILSAinc.com.
Judith joins us to discuss the goal of Insure Africa and why she chose a career in insurance. She shares the typical life of a Nigerian child and why being computer literate was a rare attribute. She describes what motivated her to work in insurance and what she learned from being a broker in Canada. She explains why insurance is still a small industry in Africa and what professionals can do to scale the industry. Judith also discusses the importance of quality and empathetic customer service in insurance, where claims can be due to accidents or emergencies.
“It’s never been about position but about growth. You have to keep learning. You have to keep growing.”Judith Pila
What you’ll learn:
- Growing up in a small town in Nigeria and Judith’s academic career
- How important learning to use a computer was in Nigeria
- Why Judith wanted to pursue a career in insurance
- Judith’s inspiration for getting ahead in life
- Why she was referred to as Speedy Gonzales in her first job
- How the insurance industry in Canada developed since she became a professional
- The motivation behind creating Insure Africa
- Why insurance is still a tiny market in the African continent
- What Judith believes will improve insurance education in Africa
- Why customer service must be a priority in insurance
- Marketing insurance as a solution without directly saying it
- What’s in store for Insure Africa in 2022?
- How Judith got involved in writing for Insuranceopedia
- When dealing with insurance customers, you have to be empathetic.
- As a broker in Canada, you need to be licensed.
- InsurTech Business Series
- Ep. 197: Adedamola “Damola” Oloko: Abundant Opportunities in the African Insurance Market
Connect with Judith:
- Insure Africa
- Insure Africa on Instagram
- Insure Africa on Facebook
- Insure Africa on LinkedIn
- Judith Pila on LinkedIn