Dr. Leroy Nunery is the Founder of Plus Ultre LLC, a management consulting company that focuses on improving the strategic, operational, and managerial capabilities of school districts, non-profits, charter schools, and medium-sized businesses. He has extensive experience in corporate banking and capital markets, and once served as Vice President of the National Basketball Association. Before starting Plus Ultre, he was the President of School Management for Edison Schools, Inc.
Dr. Nunery joins us today to share his views on diversity in the insurance industry. He describes the statistics of minorities in high ranking positions and explains why it’s difficult for minorities to climb the corporate ladder. He also discusses how minorities should enable themselves to be in a position where they are the preferred hire as well as some of the resources they can use to elevate themselves.
What you’ll learn:
- How Dr. Nunery started working in the insurance industry.
- Growing in an industry that doesn’t view you as a participant.
- Similarities and differences between the financial services industry and the sports industry.
- Finding where the best opportunities are in any industry.
- Traits of companies that attract minorities.
- What real inclusion means from a business perspective.
- How should companies leverage Employee Resource Groups or ERGs?
- Mastermind groups and how it cultivates diversity in any industry.
- The difference between sponsorship and mentoring.
- The indirect cost of a lack of employee retention.
- Employee retention and in-house development are major factors in growing a business.
- There’s a tremendous opportunity for wealth creation and providing financial stability in the insurance industry.
- In joining any industry, find the one aspect where you can excel in.
- The opportunity to educate yourself and get to another level is available for everybody, thanks to modern technology.