Lorenzo Houston is the Compliance Director of U.S. Risk, LLC., a privately-owned specialty lines company specializing in underwriting management and wholesale brokering services. He previously served as the Supervisor for the Surplus Lines Tax Department at Insurance Licensing Services of America (ILSA) before being appointed to the managerial role of the Internal Auditing department. While working as the Compliance Director at U.S. Risk, LLC., he is also the owner of the online beauty supply store, Tracey Lauren.
Today, Lorenzo joins us to share his perspective on what it’s like to work in the insurance industry as well as his career journey in the insurance space. He also shares valuable tips for people working in the surplus lines industry, the importance of networking with others throughout the industry, as well as his challenges as a new business owner.
What you’ll learn:
- The importance of understanding how other people learn to create effective training materials.
- The importance of networking with others in the insurance industry.
- The day-to-day tasks associated with being a Compliance Director.
- Common challenges during the surplus lines tax filing period.
- Why finding a work-life balance is his biggest challenge?
- The one accomplishment he is most proud of.
- Overcoming low points as an entrepreneur.
- Creating a stand-out brand in a competitive market.
- His definition of success.
- New insurance industry professionals really need to take time focusing on learning the industry.
- Step outside your box through networking and getting in touch with your regulators.
- It’s important to remember that surplus lines is compliance, but it is also a function of compliance.
- Make sure you get your reports done early.